« Home | Benjamin Franklin: Where are you today? » | Long Last Week » | Nighttime Woes » | A Little Wine » | Today » | Yesterday » | Baseball: Grandson & Aging Grandfather » | Senility » | Coal Mine Disaster: Prayers Needed » | Breakfast: Grandson Demands... » 

Friday, January 20, 2006 

Memory & Amazing Grace

1 a : the power or process of reproducing or recalling what has been learned and retained especially through associative mechanisms b : the store of things learned and retained from an organism's activity or experience as evidenced by modification of structure or behavior or by recall and recognition

The above definition, according to Merriam-Webster, is as you can see for the word memory. What does memory mean to you? Is it a memory of events from long past or is it simply of what happened two minutes ago, this morning, or even yesterday? A cosmic question might be, “Does memory define who we are?”

If you were told you would progressively lose your memory over time, “What would your reaction be?” If you were told you could experience mini stokes the rest of your life, “What would your reaction be?” If you were told, you could suffer a fatal or debilitating stroke any second, any minute, any hour, any day, any week, any month, or any year, “What would your reaction be?”

After you ponder the above questions I will try to explain what it takes to keep your heart pumping 24/7 365 days a year after a major heart attack and two minor. Moreover, the heart condition is completely separate from the above. Oh yes, there is one similarity, both conditions exist in the same body.

One last question I do not even know the answer to, “Why, during the entire time it took for me to write such a simple post, have I been humming Amazing Grace?”

Amazing Grace

Amazing grace! How sweet the sound
That saved a wretch like me!
I once was lost, but now am found;
Was blind, but now I see.

'Twas grace that taught my heart to fear,
And grace my fears relieved;
How precious did that grace appear
The hour I first believed.

Through many dangers, toils and snares,
I have already come;
'Tis grace hath brought me safe thus far,
And grace will lead me home.

The Lord has promised good to me,
His word my hope secures;
He will my shield and portion be,
As long as life endures.

Yea, when this flesh and heart shall fail,
And mortal life shall cease,
I shall possess, within the veil,
A life of joy and peace.

The world shall soon dissolve like snow,
The sun refuse to shine;
But God, who called me here below,
Shall be forever mine.

When we've been there ten thousand years,
Bright shining as the sun,
We've no less days to sing God's praise
Than when we'd first begun.