« Home | Breakfast: Grandson Demands... » | Einstein Proves God? » | What Books are you Reading? » | Home Living: Southern New Year's Meal » | 2006!! » | Happy New Year: Tomorrow » | Christmas Mix Recipe » | Surgery Over » | Surgery Day » | Aliens » 

Tuesday, January 03, 2006 

Coal Mine Disaster: Prayers Needed

"Let not the waterflood overflow me, neither let the deep swallow me up, and let not the pit shut her mouth upon me." (Ps. 69:15)

The 13 coal miners trapped Monday in the explosion at the Sago coal mine in Tallmansville, West Virginia need our prayers. I went to college with a young boy from, and I believe this is correct, Leviasy, West Virgina. He was the only one of his nine siblings to attend college.

I pulled out of college after two years, returning later when much older, and ran into Van at the Student Union building one day. That day he told me his father died the year before of Black Lung disease and later on I heard Van graduated with honors and later received a Master’s and Doctorate degree at MIT.

Today we can only pray for the 13 miners now trapped with an uncertain future ahead of them and the thousands of coal miners still toiling in one of the most dangerous professions in the word. We who benefit from the electricity provided by coal or the warmth need to humble ourselves today not only for those in peril today but for all that gave their lives in the past and for all those miners that put their lives at risk each day.

See you soon…