« Home | New Bedtime Rules » | Hard Sleep » | Weather This Morning » | Son: Back in Hospital » | Morning Weather Report » | Rage: A Recycled Post » | Brutal Angina » | BUSTED BIG TIME » | A Time of Thanks » | Surgery: Son at Noon... » 

Tuesday, November 29, 2005 

My Son and My Memory Loss

A long day is all that I can be said about today. Last night we were in Columbia late first visiting with our son who was so out of it he did not even know we were there and second over at his house relieving our daughter and her two moppets from the job of baby-sitting while my son’s wife stayed at the hospital.

We finally left Columbia around 1 AM in the pouring rain for our one and a half hour drive home – only two near accidents with people driving at high rates of speed in the rain. One man was smoking a cigarette while talking on his cell phone as he narrowly missed a side collision on the drivers’ side. Needless to say, we were exhausted after getting home but no more than the wife because she must do all the driving since I am now with out a license.

Our son came home from the hospital today around 5 PM ET after having minor surgery early this morning. He is doing much, much better today than over the past week. After seeing him in the hospital and knowing the suffering he has been through I wanted it to be me. I am accustomed to the hospital stays averaging four to five a year lasting anywhere from a week or longer.

Also, the wife has had it extremely hard because, as my caregiver, she must control me or make sure that when I have seizures or moments to days of “confusion” that I do not hurt others or myself. According to the wife, my episodes of confusion and total forgetfulness have been going on for the past three or four days.

I love my wife and despise the pains she must endure on my account. Those days or moments of confusion and forgetfulness, I have absolutely no memory of…

After talking with a friend of mine we decided to begin an adventure of writing an article for the Alzheimer’s organization that views the terror and horror and pain experienced not from a caretaker’s perspective but from the view point of the individual faced with the increasing loss of memory and self.

I have rambled enough for now…

See you soon…